The Online News Magazine of Fairfax High School

Rebel Roar

Redskins Hire Gruden

Patrick McDermott/Getty Images

Patrick McDermott/Getty Images

On Jan. 9, the Washington Redskins hired the Cincinnati Bengals’ offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, as their new head coach to replace Mike Shanahan who was fired by the Redskins following a dismal 3-13 season.

Gruden inherits a team who failed to live up to expectations this past season and is loaded with young talent. Headlining this young talent includes third year quarterback Robert Griffin III. Griffin won the Heisman trophy at Baylor University in 2012.

In a playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks in 2013, Griffin tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and lateral collateral ligament (LCL). It was a devastating end to a phenomenal rookie season that earned him the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

After Griffin had surgery to repair the injuries, he had a campaign called “All In For Week One.” However, Griffin failed to live up to the expectations and was eventually benched in Week 15 for the rest of the season.

It is Gruden’s job to cultivate this young talent and turn him back into the franchise quarterback he was promoted to be.

“There’s a lot of work to do. When you’re 3-13, there’s not one particular player or reason. There’s a lot of reasons and a lot of things that need to be fixed, no question,” said Gruden, according to the Washington Post.

According to the Washington Post, the things that Griffin took away from the hiring of Gruden include “[excitement] to get this thing going, get better together, have fun, win.”

Sophomore Nikhil Melige, who considers himself a “lifelong” Redskins fan, likes the energy that Gruden brings to the table.

“I feel like he’s going to bring some zeal into this offense, considering he is the former Bengal offensive coordinator. I didn’t really have a problem with Shanahan, but the thing is, I felt like he always focused on the run more. I feel like Jay Gruden is going to unleash RG3’s throwing potential, because, yes, he can throw the ball too,” said Melige.

Melige also gave his prediction about what the upcoming season will bring. “We’re going to win more than three games. I guarantee you at least an 8-8 season. We’re going to even out.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Redskins Hire Gruden”

1. fivecentfly on February 19th, 2014 10:23 AM

The Redskins will surprise EVERYBODY #httr
    – Nikhil Melige, ’16

Rebel Roar intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Rebel Roar discourages anonymous comments, and registration requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments. Readers must register to comment and are encouraged to sign their comments using their real names. Students should include their projected year of graduation (e.g. Jane Doe, '17).

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Redskins Hire Gruden