Rebel Roar

New Teachers at Fairfax

Mr. Rodriguez

What brought you to Fairfax?
I was working in Instructional Services doing work that kept me away from students. I really missed being around students and working with them, so here I am.
What do you love most about teaching?
I love that light-bulb “ah-ha” moment when a student gets an idea or concept or puts together a deeper understanding about something.
What is one of your favorite moments as a teacher?
The end of the school year when students have a chance to look back over the last year and see the growth they have made, especially for seniors who are moving on to the next steps in their lives.
What are your first impressions of Fairfax?
That the students are staff are extremely nice and that this is the nicest school building I have ever worked in.
Is there something interesting about yourself that you’d like to share with students at Fairfax?
I am a diehard football fan and to me the ideal Sunday is sitting at home watching the NFL.

Ms. Hamilton

What brought you to Fairfax?
I was previously in a neighboring school district that really wasn’t a fit for me and I was looking for a great district that I could hopefully call home.
One of my favorite moments actually happened after I taught this student, and she became a published author. I edited her first book, then she published a memoir. It’s coming up on a year ago now and I got a copy of it, a signed copy of it, and I’m actually in the book and she talks about how much I impacted her and helped her with her writing. So that was super super cool. It made me cry, I was crying in class reading the book.
One thing people should know about me is that I love the color purple and I’m also super passionate about Autism awareness. I have a 9 year old daughter that has Autism and so we have a fabulous team called Aubrey’s Angels and we raise lots of money every year. Over the last 4 years, we’ve raised over $12000 to help other families and so we hope to continue to do that.

Mr. Greene

What do you love most about teaching?
I love people. One of the reasons I was drawn to literature is that literature is the art of sharing the human experience and getting a glimpse into people’s lives (be they real or fictitious ). When I am teaching, I get to interact and help young men and women and their families to realize the dreams and goals they have for themselves. It’s incredibly rewarding to know that you’ve helped to steer even one person toward what they want out of life. It’s also wonderful to work with other dedicated educators to make it all happen. Education is such an incredibly complex and daunting task with so many moving parts, and incredibly, each day, we all (teachers, principals, students and parents) make it happen.
Many students have been surprised to learn that I enjoy playing video games. During the school year, I often spend an hour or so in the evening after I finish grading papers to play games and unwind. I think many games help to keep your mind active–there are so many things going through your mind and you have to think quickly!