Rebel Roar

Music Profile: Ethan Walker

How long have you been playing?

“I started in fourth grade, when I was nine or ten years old, so I’ve been playing for about seven years now.”

Are you planning on pursuing music into college?

” Yes, I’m planning on doing a double major in violin performance and math. I’m not really sure on what particular college I want to go to yet.”

Why did you choose to play the violin?

“I really love how the violin makes such beautiful music and it’s a very soloistic instrument. You can play all different styles of music like classical, fiddle, pop music if you really wanted to. It’s also a really competitive instrument. There’s always that challenge and I really like that. It pushes me to keep practicing and trying to become a better musician.”

What do you love most about music?

“I just love playing and performing in order to share the music with others. It’s always so much fun to perform for others and show what you’ve been working on.”

What is your favorite memory from being in orchestra?

“Probably going to all state orchestra and playing with the best high school musicians in the whole state.”

What’s the most challenging part of being in orchestra?

“I guess the most challenging part is balancing school work with practice and rehearsal times, but through all these rehearsal times through school I’ve learned a lot of time

What is some advice you would give to people new to orchestra or starting out on learning music?

“If you’re just starting out, you don’t need to practice two hours a day. As long as you’re consistent with your practice time, even if it’s just five or ten minutes a day. If you practice every day, you will improve.”

What or who inspired you to start playing?

“My mom was in chorus for throughout of high school so I got my musical side from her. I also like to go on YouTube and watch professional violinists like Joshua Bell and Itzhak Perlman. They inspire because those people are at the top of the game and it’s so nice to listen to them and see where I can go with my violin.”

Is there any piece that you’ve always wanted to play? Why?

“I really like the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. I have not yet played it but it’s one of my favorites. The playing is very difficult both technically and musically. You have these really fast passages and then you have these slow, beautiful, and melodic passages.”

If you could meet any composer (who ever lived) who would it be? Why?

“I would probably want to meet Felix Mendelssohn. I really like his pieces, his Violin Concerto, I played some of his octet. Again, he has these fast passages and then these slow, beautiful passages. His Violin Concerto doesn’t just focus on violin, it also has this really nice orchestra part that goes along with it and without it, it just sound unbalanced. I like how it focuses on a whole.”