The Online News Magazine of Fairfax High School

Rebel Roar

Our New Mayor: David Meyer

Mayor David Meyer (Photo Courtesy of David Meyer)

What was your initial reaction after winning the election?

I was very appreciative of the support the voters have shown me. It is a humbling experience and I have a profound gratitude to the voters. It’s a lot of responsibility to be mayor and they put their hopes in my candidacy. I want to do all I can to move the city forward based on the feedback I received from speaking with the people.

What do you want to accomplish in your first 100 days in office?

I want the council to focus on the strategic issues the City of Fairfax is facing. In the first 100 days, we are going to make sure the work for our comprehensive plan is moving forward, we are going to adopt a budget for [the 2018 fiscal year], and we are also going to address several key issues regarding development. We want the get the developer to start work on Fairfax Circle. I want to get a commitment that they will start in this calendar year before the end of 2017 that they will start work on the Fairfax Circle Project.

There are also two other issues I’m going to be focusing on as well. One is working with the property owners and the adjacent neighborhoods of the Northfax Project to come up with a plan for the redevelopment of that site. Also, I want to address the issue of housing in the city. We have a great need for quality, senior housing, housing for persons of disabilities and especially affordable housing.

Do you have any new policies in mind for Fairfax High School?

As mayor, I am going to work with the school board to ensure that the facility is maintained and improved. We have some capital improvement projects for Fairfax High School (FHS) that I want to support. I want to make sure that those funds are in the budget so that we can get those projects done as soon as possible.

The students of FHS have a right to receive the best quality education possible. My job as mayor is to ensure that we provide the financial resources so that the school board can provide that education. I believe that the students deserve to go to school in a building that is second to none and that they can go to school everyday in an environment that is safe, and where excellence and learning is not only encouraged but expected. I also believe that there should be opportunity for students to express their views freely, and that there is free enquiry both in their academic life and social life.

How would you like to see Fairfax City develop in the future?

The city has a lot of assets. The city has good infrastructure, a very professional workforce, outstanding services, and very good financial health. Our debt ratios are conservative, we manage our money well, and the citizens get a good return on their tax dollars in terms of services. However, the greatest asset the city has is its people. We have a diverse population that is generally well educated. They are committed to their community. There is a lot of diversity in the community, which is a good thing. We need to leverage these differences that people have in their personal traditions they bring into the community and celebrate those differences, and also affirm the shared values that our community has. It doesn’t matter where people come from, how they worship, how they dress or what their cultural traditions are. What everybody wants is the best for their children to be able to go to school and get a great education in a safe environment. They want their neighborhoods to be safe, live in a healthy environment. These are the common goals that we need to lift up and take advantage of in moving the city forward.

What would you like to say to people that did not vote for you?

There are some voters who are concerned that the pace of development and the kind of development being pursued in the city is going to change it in a way that they would not like to see. I ask those voters to keep an open mind and to be part of the process moving forward. The best decisions are made when everyone has a voice and an input. While I may have not gotten votes from everyone, I am representing everyone and even those who did not support me. I take the responsibility of being their mayor seriously, and I want to listen to them, understand their views, and ask them to be part of the political process moving forward.