The Online News Magazine of Fairfax High School

Rebel Roar

Faces of Gymnastics

Yvett Ventura- A Sophomore

How long have you been doing gymnastics? Actually, not that long. I have been tumbling for a really long time and that was where I got the idea of starting gymnastics.
What made you start doing gymnastics? When I was really young I watched the Olympics and I really wanted to learn how they [gymnasts] did their performances. So, I started taking classes and it started being really fun.
Which event in gymnastics is your favorite? I really like the floor.

What is your favorite part about gymnastics? My favorite part about gymnastic is probably bonding with your teammates every practice because we never really have a dull day so it is a lot of fun.
Do you think you will continue to do gymnastics after high school? I probably will not.
Is the gymnastics team well-known at FHS? No. No, I do not think so. I do not think most people even know that it is a sport.
Do you wish that it was more well-known? Yeah, I do. I wish it was more appreciated for what we do.

Megan Gutierrez- A Freshman

How long have you been doing gymnastics? I have been doing gymnastics for twelve years.
What made you start doing gymnastics? I think my mom just put me in there [classes] to release some energy and it just worked out really well.
Which event in gymnastics is your favorite? I really like the balance beams the most.

What is your favorite part about gymnastics? My favorite part is competing.
Do you think you will continue to do gymnastics after high school? Yeah. I think so.
Is the gymnastics team well-known at FHS? At Fairfax, the gymnastics team is not well-known at all.
Do you wish that it was more well-known? Yeah, most definitely.