The Online News Magazine of Fairfax High School

Rebel Roar

Artist Profile: Jina Lee

shadow-girl

(Photo courtesy of Jina Lee)

Jina Lee, junior, has been expressing herself through her artwork from when she was an infant. She has continued to depict aspects of her life ever since and plans on continuing in the future.

How long have you been interested in art and drawing?

“I have been told by my mother [that] I have been interested in art since I was an infant. My mom explained to [me] that she would put me in my booster chair while only [wearing] diapers … and would give me paints, which I would play with all day.”

What mediums of art do you use?

“I use most mediums, but I prefer acrylic paint. I use oil paint, acrylic, watercolor, pencil and sometimes paper to make quilled paper.”

What would you describe your art style as?

“I would describe my artwork to be ordinary since I try to make my themes apply [to] events that everyone goes through daily.”

What mediums do you use the most?

“I mostly use paint, specifically oil paint, because you can use oil paint for a long time as long as you keep it in the freezer. In addition, I believe painting is easier than [using] pencil.”

Where do you find the most inspiration for your art?

“I try to find inspiration through the people around me as well as the events that occur in the world.”

Are there any particular artists that you admire?

“I really admire Kim Jung Gi. He recently has been well known around the world. He deviated from what most people do and dropped out of school. He explained that he had a lot of people not support him because of that, saying that being an artist is not stable. However, from much practice and work, he is being asked to do a seminar for well known art places like Disney. “

longhorn-skull

(Photo courtesy of Jina Lee)

What’s one of your favorite pieces that you’ve done?

“When I was in middle school, I drew a longhorn bull skull. I really like it because I put so much effort in it, and when I finished it, it looked pretty similar in my opinion, and I was glad it was done.”

What’s one of the most difficult things about doing art, and how do you overcome it?

“I think it is difficult to come up with an idea on your first try. I always have an idea, but I always change it since there are so many options to do a piece. I have a hard time on finishing my work quickly. Naturally I am a slow worker, even in school, so when I do a piece, it usually takes me at least two months to complete.”

Do you have any advice for anyone who wants to express themselves and their creativity through art?

“They should [create] whatever they want to portray, since art is [not only] about drawing realistically, but [also about] portraying your message through your work.”