Rebel Roar

Faces of Field Hockey

At FHS, the field hockey team has won the Liberty Cup for the past seven years. This year the field hockey players plan to win the cup once again and make it the “Gateway to Eight.” This season will be the last season of the Liberty Cup, so the desire to win the cup is higher than ever. Of course, the team would not be anything without the players. These are some highlighted players from the field hockey team:

Emily Deivert: Senior

emily-divert

Why did you start playing field hockey? My older sister played field hockey, and I grew up going to a lot of her games and naturally I got put on different terms when I was younger to get a head start.

What do you enjoy about field hockey? I like winning, and I like that we have a coach that knows whats she is talking about, so we all work to make her happy.

Do you plan on playing field hockey outside of high school? Right now I am undecided, so we will see.

Have you ever come into any situations that prevented you from playing field hockey? My freshmen year I had a minor quad injury, but ever since then I have been healthy throughout my entire season. I have never had anything keeping me from playing.

Sydney Keating: Junior

keating

Why did you start playing field hockey? My mom for sure, she has been playing since her freshmen year in high school and played for the U.S. team. So, I just grew up with it and started really early. I was born with a stick in my hand.

What do you enjoy about field hockey? Everything. I love all of the people, and I just love playing the sport. Everytime I walk onto the field, I forget about everything, and it is so nice to just not think about anything but playing.

Do you plan on playing field hockey outside of high school? Yes, I want to play in college. I wouldn’t play for the U.S. team, but I will probably play after college for club teams, if its possible.

Have you ever come into any situations that prevented you from playing field hockey? I have had a weird back problem, but I am too deep in to stop playing. It’s difficult playing when my back hurts,especially when I think about it, it is really more of a mental thing.

Alexa Brzezynski: Sophomore

alexa

Why did you start playing field hockey? My older sister, Victoria, played, and I thought it was really cool, so I got into it.

What do you enjoy about field hockey? I enjoy field hockey because I love stepping on the field with my team and playing our hearts out. The team factor is big for me, and I really enjoy practicing and getting better.

Do you plan on playing field hockey outside of high school? There is a chance I would play outside of high school, but I haven’t decided yet.

Have you ever come into any situations that prevented you from playing field hockey? Nothing has ever prevented me from playing, and if it did I would play through it. Or I would be very sad if I couldn’t play.

Tatum Lynch: Freshmen

lynch

Why did you start playing field hockey? I play soccer, and I thought field hockey looked interesting to play. My sister also played it,  and I thought it would be really fun if I started to play. So then I tried out for highschool and now I play for varsity.

What do you enjoy about field hockey? I really enjoy the team aspect of it, and I like having teammates [so] that it is not just on you.

Do you plan on playing field hockey outside of high school? I haven’t really thought of that [playing], but I have thought that in the back of my mind, so we will see how the next few years will go.

Have you ever come into any situations that prevented you from playing field hockey? I have never been injured, but when I was first trying out I felt really intimidated by all of the older kids, and I was just kind of nervous. I thought Oh my gosh, I don’t want to do this anymore ,but then I decided to push through and finish it out, and I am really glad that I did.

*All photos courtesy of athletes.