Marching Rebels: Work Hard, Play Hard

The marching band at FHS is valued very highly within the student body, and students enjoy watching them perform at football games. Teddy Nguyen, a sophomore boy not in band, says, “I really enjoy watching and hearing the marching band play during football games.”

The marching band performs at the homecoming game during halftime. Photo courtesy of Yasmin Mohamed.

The marching band practices many hours over the summer and throughout the fall season. Ali Punsalan, a sophomore who marches with the clarinet, says “It definitely benefits putting in a lot of work over the summer because marching band is really strenuous, so it makes the rest of the season easier.”
The Fairfax marching band also participates in several competitions; however, it is clear that the amount of preparation is a lot more than the actual competition itself. Typically, the competitions last all day, and the marching band is only doing three competitions and one assessment this year, according to Punsalan.

marching-info
Some students even think that the band is more committed than a regular fall sport because of all the time they put in over the summer. Ashlyn Datt, a junior who is not in band, said, “It is crazy the amount of hours they practice and the weather they practice in.” Marching band practices a lot more than what most students think.