The Online News Magazine of Fairfax High School

Rebel Roar

Profanity in School

Profanity has become so prevalent at FHS that it’s being blended into the average hallway conversion. Students saying expressions like “what the [expletive]” and “I want to  [expletive]…”  are heard everywhere. Although many think profanity is a sense of self expression, it really only offends.

There are over a million words in the English language that can be used to convey ideas and meanings. With every word there are so many related synonyms. For example according to Merriam-Webster, there are over fifty synonyms for the word happy. Thus, you could easily describe their happiness on either end of the spectrum with already accepted, polite words.

Although profanity is often used to convey maturity in pop culture and movies, it is not applicable in the school setting. In school, the intuition of maturity comes from a student’s leadership and actions. Also once profanity has become a habit, it is difficult to stop. This can cause embarrassing and improper actions because most formal situations do not permit casual swearing.

The main reason foul language should be avoided is that it alludes to a bad character and lack of control of yourself. It shows to everyone that you don’t care about feelings of others that you could possibly disrespect. Kathy Pajares, a sophomore, believes that swearing is not appropriate in school because “it could offend some people” and is used as a sign of disrespect.  For example if you started saying racial slurs, it can easily insult those of that race. This carelessness indirectly shows the lack of morals one has. In addition, it displays a sense that you are apathetic towards setting a good example. If younger siblings follow your model, it leads to a gradual decline in manners and decorum.