The Online News Magazine of Fairfax High School

Rebel Roar

Lights, Camera, Early Action: FHS Seniors Hear Back

Seniors Maya Williams-Britton and Julie Vu were accepted to the University of Hawaii at Manoa and the College of William & Mary, respectively, through the early application process. Rebel Roar Managing Editor Kate Bellows sat down with Williams-Britton and Vu to discuss their experiences.

University of Hawaii at Manoa ― Maya Williams-Britton ― Priority

Maya Williams-Britton was accepted through priority admissions to the University of Hawaii-Manoa. (Photo by Kate Bellows)

Maya Williams-Britton was accepted through priority admissions to the University of Hawaii at Manoa. (Photo by Kate Bellows)

Kate Bellows: “You got into University of Hawaii at Manoa through priority admissions. Can you explain what priority admissions are?”

Maya Williams-Britton: “If you submit by a certain date, [which is] Jan. 5, then they will take your information and they will decide right away based off their pool. Then they’ll give you a decision back earlier than if you applied by the final deadline.”

KB: “What was it like when you heard that you got in?”

MWB: “My dad kind of spoiled it for me! I was at the movies with my friend, and then I checked my phone and he [said], ‘Oh, it looks like you just got accepted into the University of Hawaii!’ I was like, ‘Thanks, Dad! That’s nice to know.'”

KB: “That’s funny. If you were to do something different in your process of applying to college, what would you have done?”

MWB: “I probably would have gotten started a lot earlier. I still have one more that I have to finish, which is due next week. I still have to write the essay. I probably would have tried to get all the essay information and fill out all my applications earlier, so then I would not be stressing right now and I could have just focused on scholarship applications.”

Julie Vu ― The College of William & Mary ― Early Decision

Julie Vu was accepted early decision to the College of William & Mary. (Photo by Kate Bellows)

KB: “What made you want to apply to William & Mary Early Decision?”

Julie Vu: “I’ve always been interested in it, and when I visited, I definitely was able to see myself there. It meets all of the things I have on this huge list. It’s just so fantastic. I love it. I knew that it was definitely my first choice, and my parents were okay with it.”

KB: “How did you feel when you found out that you got in?”

JV: “I was ecstatic. I started tearing up, and then I called my mom, and then she started crying over the phone. It was just really emotional. I felt so relieved because [the wait] was over.”

KB: “What are you looking forward to most at William & Mary?”

JV: “I’m really excited to attend a school where there are a lot of people like me, who have the same kind of mindset. It’s a really intellectually challenging environment, so I’m really excited to be in that.”

KB: “Do you have any tips for juniors who are thinking of applying early decision to schools?”

JV: “Have faith in yourself. The hardest part is definitely waiting. Once you’re waiting, there’s really nothing you can do, so just try and enjoy yourself. Definitely keep up with your schoolwork after that.”

KB: “Why William & Mary?”

JV: “It’s an academically challenging environment, which I love. I don’t think I could be at a school where my classes were boring. And when I visited, everyone was just so nice. There’s this vibe around the campus that’s just really quirky, which I love.”