Rebel Roar

New Club Aims to Support Children Affected By Cancer

Juniors Emily Deivert, Deama Habibi and Deena Habibi organized a club through their DECA class called Athletes Crush Cancer that is open to all students at Fairfax and allows students to create relationships with children affected by pediatric cancer.

Athletes Crush Cancer, or simply Crush Cancer because the club is not open to just athletes, was inspired by CureFest DC and the Truth 365 organization, according to Deena Habibi. “From [these other organizations], we learned that there was a really big need for a connection between these kids with cancer and other kids in the community,” she said.

Juniors Emily Deivert, Deama Habibi and Deena Habibi are the founders of Crush Cancer at Fairfax. (Photo courtesy of Crush Cancer)

According to Habibi, in order to foster these connections, the club will help students form pen pal relationships with children who have pediatric cancer. In addition to forming these friendships, “our club is also aiming towards pretty much educating everyone on pediatric cancer and bringing awareness towards the topic,” said Habibi.

The relationships between FHS students and the children will not just happen locally. The club is reaching out to children all over the United States in order to form connections. “A main goal of the club is to create a connection between Fairfax High School students and kids across the nation,” said Deivert. “We’re reaching out to everywhere.”

So far, the club has between 20 and 24 members signed up to be pen pals with pediatric cancer patients, according to Habibi, but this number is just the beginning. “Our numbers are still growing,” Deivert said. “It’s still in the early stages.”

The club is still in its early stages in regards to its goals too. “We’re going to expand and next year, when we organize a little bit more, we’re going to expand it to everyone in the school and the pen pals are going to not only be kids that have cancer, but kids whose parents might have cancer or siblings of kids who might have cancer,” said Deivert. “Anybody that needs the extra support [will be able to take part].”

Crush Cancer holds meetings once a month. The first meeting will be held to teach members how to properly write a pen pal letter without “overdoing it,” according to Deivert.

Students at FHS can still sign up to join the club by scanning the QR code located in different places around the school or on the club’s Twitter page, @_crush_cancer. The deadline to sign up is the end of February so the group leaders can organize and set up the connections.

“We’re starting really, really soon so we want a lot of people to sign up by our next meeting,” said Habibi.