Rebel Roar

Meals for Young Minds Project at the Chocolate Lovers’ Festival

On Feb. 6-7, the Fairfax Kiwanis Meals for Young Minds Project will be operating in various locations such as the Historic Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center and the City of Fairfax Regional Library. The Chocolate Lovers Festival Committee is allowing the Fairfax Kiwanis to hold these events at some of the festival locations. 

The goal of the Meals for Young Minds Project is to provide food to local elementary school students who would otherwise not have food available to them over the weekend. The food given to the students is healthy and plentiful. Each student receives a gallon-size bag containing two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners and two or three snacks. The Fairfax Kiwanis have been running the Meals for Young Minds Minds Project since 2010, and has since grown to helping students from three local elementary schools.

The Kiwanis Club will be very active in the community during the Chocolate Lovers' Festival. (Photo Courtesy of Fairfax Kiwanis)

The Kiwanis Club will be very active in the community during the Chocolate Lovers’ Festival. (Photo Courtesy of Kiwanis Club of Fairfax)

The Kiwanis Club of Fairfax will also be having a Chocolate Lovers Pancake Breakfast and bake sale on Feb. 6. The breakfast will feature pancakes, both regular and chocolate chip, along with sausage. The breakfast will be held at Fire Station 3 in Old Town Fairfax.  

The Fairfax Kiwanis have many additional upcoming projects. These projects include  the Read Around the World Cooperation with FACETS, an event in which members read with kids (scheduled to be on Feb. 20). They also include the Wreaths Across America Clean Up in which the club will collaborate with the Tysons and McLean Kiwanis Club to offer their help in taking down wreaths put up during the holidays (scheduled to be on Feb. 13).