Best Picture Nominations: Too Different To Compare

The 88th Academy Awards are coming up, and with so many great movies to chose from in 2015, the nominated films for Best Picture are from very different genres making it difficult to compare.

The nominations include The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, The Revenant, Room, and Spotlight. The genres range from romance to thriller and drama to science fiction.

The different genres of movies make it challenging  to compare because of the different script styles and visuals. Freshman Jenna Nicholson said, “The different genres have many different types of plots and it makes it harder to compare.”

"Bridge of Spies" is nominated for Best Picture at the 88th Academy Awards. (Photo courtesy of flickr)

“Bridge of Spies” is nominated for Best Picture at the 88th Academy Awards. (Photo courtesy of flickr)

With movies like Brooklyn, a romance, compared to The Revenant, a thriller, some think that  they can not be held to the same standards. Monique Blackmon, a sophomore  at Fairfax High School, said “I would rather see a thriller, rather than a romance.” Blackmon expressed that “They (thrillers) are more interesting to watch.”

The films nominated this year have many well-known actors including Brad Pitt, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Christian Bale in The Big Short, and Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Nominated films with notable actors are those most likely to be seen by students in a high school. “I watched The Martian,” said Isaa Atrash, a junior at Fairfax High School, “It was pretty dope.”

The Martian is a movie starring Matt Damon as an astronaut stranded on Mars, a comedic science fiction film that is held in high regard for Matt Damon’s “Everyman quality” that, ” helps scale the story down,” according to a review by Manohla Dargis of The New York Times), and its accuracy “With that in mind, The Martian might be the most realistic (but fictional) space movie of all time,” according to Calla Cofield.

The only reason some of the movies nominated will be seen was because of actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo. Freshman Taryn Motta said, “I would rather see a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio instead of a movie with someone I don’t know.” Most students seem to pull towards the movies with an already famous celebrity rather than the upcoming and new actors.