Deivert Leads Fairfax Into Region Semifinals

The Fairfax High School field hockey team advanced to the 6A Northern regional semifinals on Thursday with a 2-1 win over Herndon in a one-on-one shootout. The Rebels had advanced to the quarterfinals against Herndon with a 2-0 win over West Potomac.

Against West Potomac, the Rebels dominated the Wolverines, possessing the ball for the vast majority of the game but could not seem to find the back of the net as much as it seemed they should have.

Fairfax’s first goal came from junior forward Emily Deivert with 25:52 remaining in the first half. The Wolverines tried to clear the ball but it was stopped by Deivert, who launched an arcing shot from just inside the circle. “I couldn’t see the ball after I shot so I was just hoping it got past the goalie, and it did, and I was really excited,” said Deivert. “It was early in the game so we were just happy that just in case the game was cancelled at halftime we would at least have some points on the board.”

Junior Jillian Creel dribbles up the field against West Potomac. (Photo courtesy of Bob Pugh)

Deivert led the scoring attack for the Rebels in both games, contributing with an assist that she called “lucky” to sophomore Sydney Keating for the second goal against West Potomac and Fairfax’s lone regulation-time goal against Herndon.

Despite beating West Potomac 2-0, head coach Amber Beaudoin was not fully pleased with the game. “It was a pretty subpar performance but we had a typical hangover after the district final so I think that is to be expected,” said Beaudoin. “It’s hard to not overlook an opponent when they’re the number four [seed], and you’re the number one [seed], and I think that they came out strong but then they kind of, just, took a nap.”

Deivert agreed that the second half against West Potomac was not the best field hockey that the team is capable of playing. “It was a little iffy,” she said. “We weren’t playing our hardest in the second half so some people weren’t very satisfied with how we did.”

Beaudoin kept the team thinking positively going into Thursday’s game against Herndon, preaching the same philosophy that she’s had all season. “The biggest thing that we always talk about is playing for each other and that when you get to this level and you win so much, no one wishes you well; no one outside of you,” said Beaudoin. “They really have to be their own cheerleaders so we get together in a circle and we say, ‘Everyone here in this circle has your back so let’s play for the girl beside you, and if everybody does that and does their job, then that’s how you move forward.'”

The game was closely matched throughout the entire regulation period, needing both overtime periods and a one-on-one shootout to decide the winner.

Fairfax won the shootout 2-1 with goals scored by Keating and senior Kat Pugh. Pugh provided a highlight-reel goal in the shootout, bouncing the ball on her stick before launching it over the goalie’s head into the net.

Senior goalie Alexis Thomasson performed when her team needed her to the most with several great saves and the game-clinching clear of the ball.

The Rebels continue their season in the region semifinals against TC Williams on Nov. 3. A win in the semifinals would clinch a spot in the VHSL 6A State Tournament.

Sophomore Sydney Keating plays defense attempts a pass against West Potomac. (Photo courtesy of Bob Pugh)