Rebel Roar

Rebels Walk the Red Carpet at Homecoming

After an exciting week of lunchtime games, spirit days and assemblies, the Fairfax student body celebrated homecoming in a big way at the pep rally and football game on Friday and a dance in the gym on Saturday night. The theme for this year’s celebration, Rebels on the Big Screen, was reflected in a big way with movie-themed games, spirit days and decorations at the dance.

Pep Rally

After the crowd squeezed into their seats, the class chants echoed through the gym. With their endless school spirit the cheerleaders jumped onto the floor. Followed by their acrobatics, the dance team finished the artistic part of the pep rally. The emcees announced all the fall varsity sports teams. Subsequently the teachers and the team members ran a three-legged race, called “Forrest Gump.” The strong sibling rivals showed through in the “Siblings Dare” game after the field hockey team hit the court

Students packed the gymnasium for the Homecoming pep rally. (Photo by Aniqa Faruque)

for their game. Then, in a game revolving around an awkward game of human musical chairs, the lucky freshman boys raced to hug the homecoming queen nominees. The varsity football team concluded the pep rally with their team huddle and chant to pump up the audience for the night’s game against Yorktown.

King Reveal

Homecoming King Samori Sanford Samuel is lifted into the air by the Homecoming Court after being crowned. (Photo by Aniqa Faruque)

During the pep rally, the emcee recreated the iconic scene from “The Lion King” and made his debut as Rafiki. Then, the emcee came out and revealed Samori Sanford Samuel as the 2015 Homecoming King by smearing the “passion fruit” onto his face. The crowd roared even louder as last year’s Homecoming King, Alex Gomez, crowned the new king. The other king candidates celebrated and lifted Sanford Samuel into the air as the entire gym continued to shout and cheer for the newly chosen Homecoming King.

Football Game and Queen Reveal

On Sept. 25, the Fairfax varsity football team played Yorktown High School for the homecoming game.

Homecoming Queen Christine Faunce is embraced by her fellow band members after being crowned. (Photo by Anushka Annonti)

Despite Fairfax’s 28-7 loss, the students still were able to enjoy the hype of the game. The Fairfax Marching Rebels played a seven minute performance before the game began and the Fairfax Chorus sang the National Anthem to kick off the game. During halftime, the 2015 Homecoming Queen, Christine Faunce, was announced. She was congratulated by a large crowd of her fellow marching band members. The winner of the best homecoming float, the juniors, was also announced during halftime. For the first time in Fairfax history, two floats, the freshman and senior class floats, tied for second place.