Spring Sports Update

Baseball

After a hot start to the season, the Fairfax baseball team has cooled off a little bit, but still maintains a winning attitude. While the team has stumbled lately, it has not lost its confidence. “I definitely believe we can keep up the winning record this season,” said junior Sam Ryan.

Led by two senior Division 1 commits, Christian Leckert and Jason Waldman, the Rebels opened the year with a 6-0 record, including a win against perennial power James Madison High School. The Rebels will play Madison again this season in May, and Ryan believes they can upset the Warhawks again. “It will be the first time we’ve swept them in a long, long time, so it’ll be good for our team and the school,” he said.

(Photo by Ryan Kim)

(Photo by Ryan Kim)

Softball

After losing several key seniors last year, the Fairfax softball team has stepped up to the plate and accepted the challenge. The team is “really strong this year,” said junior Sara Anthony. “We have a few things to work out, like communication on the field and staying positive during the entire game.”

(Photo by Kayla Antonio)

(Photo by Kayla Antonio)

The Rebels have had some trouble keeping their heads up, but they have been actively overcoming that obstacle. “Sometimes we get down if we make a bad play and we need to learn to move past it but over all our hitting and fielding is doing well,” Anthony said.

The Rebels have a tough schedule this year, with games against McLean and Madison, but each game they “try to go out with as much energy and drive as possible and leave everything on the field,” according to Anthony.

Track and Field

The largest of the spring sports teams, track and field, has had a very strong season so far across the board. “My coaching staff and I are very pleased with our success thus far, and we are all eager to see what great things our student-athletes can do moving forward,” said head coach Jeff Sejour.

(Photo by Stephen McCarty)

(Photo by Stephen McCarty)

While winning is important to the program, Sejour emphasizes setting and accomplishing goals for each athlete. “I do have expectations as a coach, but I am more concerned [about] how my athletes view themselves and the expectations that they have set for themselves,” he said. “As a track and field athlete it is important to set goals and construct a plan to achieve these goals.”

The team is very close and always supports each other at each meet. “Everyone is cheering their teammates on in practice and we are all on the same mission,” said Sejour.

Boys’ Soccer

Following an immensely successful season last year, the Fairfax boys’ soccer team has continued the winning tradition so far this spring. Under a new coach, Dylan Forshay, the Rebels started the season by winning five straight games and earning a place in the Washington Post Top 10.

(Photo by Stephen McCarty)

(Photo by Stephen McCarty)

“We have had two losses but it hasn’t held us back,” said junior Amin Adem. “We’re keeping our heads high and just continuing to get the ‘dubs’ (wins).”

According to Adem, in order to have a successful season, the Rebels aim to accomplish three things: to have a “positive mood, positive attitude and [to] keep winning.”

Girls’ Soccer

The Fairfax girls’ soccer team has not been very victorious lately, but this is because several injuries have held it back. “With all of the injuries, I am pleased with the way that the available players have responded,” head coach Gino Leon said. “If we can get all of our players back, we can be a force to be reckoned with.”

(Photo by Quinnlin Taylor)

(Photo by Quinnlin Taylor)

Even though the team has lost several games, “we have played some very good teams and have held our own with them,” said Leon.

The Rebels have stood out in several areas of the game despite their losses, according to Leon. They apply great defensive pressure, “smothering [the other team] on their own half,” he said. The team also plays “possession style of soccer,” said Leon. This style of play, which involves possessing the ball for long periods of time, has “[started] to come together with each game,” he said.

Boys’ Lacrosse

Defying expectations this season, FHS boys’ lacrosse came out with a close but definite 12-11 victory over conference dominator Langley High School, a feat not accomplished by the FHS team since 2002. The monumental win this early in the season set the pace for a team destined to be successful, and the boys proved this with their consecutive triumph over Oakton High School (14-8).

(Photo courtesy of mofly)

(Photo courtesy of mofly)

With a solid lineup and a good start, the team has the potential for a run in the regional tournament this year, especially with a model teammate like Garrett Jones setting an example.

Sophomore Jordan Radoll said, “We want to be based around [Jones’] personality and his enthusiasm with the team and we want to show that on the field.” Boys’ varsity lacrosse is pursuing victory this year. However, the glory is nothing without the bonds of brotherhood.

Girls’ Lacrosse

The Fairfax girls’ lacrosse team, which has not had much success in recent years, seems to have turned a corner this season. While its record may not reflect it, it has “improved a lot,” said junior Katherine Pugh. The team has already recorded wins against Edison and Stone Bridge high schools.

(Photo courtesy of Bob Pugh)

(Photo courtesy of Bob Pugh)

In addition to winning games and being successful on the field, the Rebels’ goal is to be closer as a team this season. “In previous years we haven’t really been tight as a team, so this year we really want to pick it up,” Pugh said.

Crew

The Fairfax crew team, which is usually very strong, has kept up the tradition of excellence this year. Two of the boys’ boats are already seeded third in states.

The team is striving to qualify for nationals, which requires the “first four” to be in the top five and the “lightweight” to be in the top two, according to senior Billy Kirkendall. There is a junior eight-person boat which is “starting to work together really well,” said Kirkendall.

(Photo courtesy of Justin Chang)

(Photo courtesy of Justin Chang)

There is a lot of diversity on the team, which Kirkendall likes. “[There are] lots of people from every group in the school, so it’s nice to meet people I wouldn’t otherwise ever see,” he said.

Tennis

While they have not had much on-the-court success, the Fairfax tennis teams are very supportive of each other and are close as a group. “What keeps us going is the awesome support from the whole team,” said senior Genesis Aguila. “If there’s a match going, there’s always a teammate watching and cheering them on.”

The team has had several matches that were very close and could have won, but “we gave it our all,” said Aguila. These close matches are what the Rebels hope to turn around as they try to accomplish their goal of making it to districts as a team, according to Aguila.

(Photo by Kayla Antonio)

(Photo by Kayla Antonio)