Rebel Roar

Meet the New School Resource Officer, George Moskowitz

The newest member of the Fairfax High School staff is school resource officer George Moskowitz. Moskowitz previously worked as the SRO at Lanier Middle School, and switched assignments with former Fairfax SRO Lisa Cravalho, bringing him to FHS. Read on to learn about Officer Moskowitz and his police career.

Q: Why did you first become a police officer?

Officer Moskowitz was previously the School Resource Officer at Lanier Middle School. (Photo by Mike Breslin)

A: I guess it’s one of those things where most people know what they want to do when they grow up. I guess I just inherently always knew what I wanted to be when I grew up was a police officer. So, when I went to [high] school and went to college, the University of Maryland, that’s what I went to school for. When I got out, that’s what I applied to. Then, I got on to Fairfax County and I guess the rest is history from there.

Q: What other jobs within the police force have you held, other than the SRO?

A: I’ve been here [working for the city for] three years and here I was just on the street, which means I was just working patrol for that time. For the county, I did the same thing there: worked patrol, was an investigator, was a road supervisor, got to do some special assignments within there, but for the most part that’s it.

Q: Which has been your favorite other police job? Why?

A: When I was with the county, I was a crime scene detective and I got to do a lot of neat things there. That was one of the things that I always wanted to do and I got the opportunity to do it. It was a lot of fun.

Q: Why did you decide to come to Fairfax High School?

A: I decide? Well, that’s the thing, I started out at Lanier and was there for the first three months. So it really wasn’t a decision that I made to come to Fairfax. It was more that our boss’s command staff decided that a switch was needed to be made and here I am.

Q: How has your time here been so far?

A: Great! I mean, that’s the easiest way to put it. It’s been great. It’s been a good time. I mean, having to get acclimated to a new place, being the new guy, it’s been a work in progress.

Q: What’s one fun or interesting fact about yourself?

A: Still, as an old man, I still like to play sports. I’m still active in sports on my days off.