Winter Sports Preview

Boys’ Basketball

Following a disappointing 10-13 record and a loss in the first round of the conference tournament last season, the Fairfax boys’ basketball team has big goals for the new season.

Senior Chance Robinson wants to win a district championship this year while also having a “fun time.”

The Rebels have two games circled on their schedule this year. “Woodson is always a good team. We always have to get through them,” said Robinson. “The team in our district is probably South Lakes because they won it last year and so we want to dethrone

(Photo courtesy of Phil Dolinger)

(Photo courtesy of Phil Dolinger)

them and win the championship this year.”

(Additional reporting by Bernardo Ramallo)

Girls’ Basketball

The Fairfax “Lady Rebels” basketball team is entering a new era this season under the direction of first-year head coach Pat Deegan.

Deegan is a member of the Virginia High School League Hall of Fame and last coached in 2012 at Westfield High School. He has high hopes for his first season at Fairfax. “I think they’re going to do well. They are versatile players and I can see them playing finals this year,” said Deegan.

(Photo by Kayla Antonio)

(Photo by Kayla Antonio)

Junior Jalita Montgomery also believes the team will be successful this season because they are “more mature.”
Madison High School, where Deegan won two state championships as head coach, looks to be the biggest challenge for the Lady Rebels this season.

(Additional reporting by Kayla Antonio)

Wrestling

The famous wrestling room has once again been put into use on weekday afternoons for

another Fairfax wrestling season. Craig Franklin is entering his eighth season as head coach of the Rebels and is looking to build upon the successes of last season.

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

Madison, Robinson and Westfield High Schools pose the biggest threats to a successful Fairfax campaign this year, according to junior Eric Paz. However, Paz believes the Rebels “will do probably as good or maybe even better than last year.”

Paz’s individual goals include “[making] it to regions [and placing] top four in the conference.”

Swim & Dive

This year the Fairfax swim team is planning to break a few team records with team building. Head coach Maureen McCarthy said, “As always. our goals would be to have a good, cohesive strong team, make friendships and have some good time drops, have some regional qualifiers and state qualifiers.”

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

McCarthy is confident that they are going to do well this year and that “we’ll finish pretty strong” with swimmers like sophomore Anna Ober, juniors Laura Griffin and Owen Gentry, freshmen Macey Lynch and Katie Byrd, and senior Billy Kirkendall. Junior Samson Miller is also hoping to go all-American again in dive.

(Additional reporting by Stephen McCarthy)

Gymnastics

The Fairfax girls’ gymnastics team is poised for a strong season this year with a group who is “really young, really excited, and full of potential,” according to head coach Marissa Gaines.

Gaines hopes that the new team will improve this year and finish 3rd or 4th in the conference, as opposed to the 5th place finish last season.

The two teams standing in the way of these goals are Marshall and McLean High Schools. They “are always our struggle to beat,”

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

said Gaines. Senior Rachel Barborek sees South Lakes High as the toughest competition for the Rebels.
Barborek stands out on the team as a “level ten gymnast,” according to Gaines.

Indoor Track

The Rebel indoor track team, the largest winter sports squad at Fairfax, has potential for a strong season this year. Alex Maguire, who came in first place at the cross-country regional meet, will be a big contributor to this team.

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

(Photo by Mike Breslin)

This is head coach Jeff Sejour’s third season leading the Rebels. He is also the defensive backs coach for the varsity football team and the head coach of the track and field team.

Junior Jenna Thompson believes the team will do “really well.” Her main goal for the team is to “go to states this year.”

(Additional reporting by Kayla Antonio)